A few days back, I attended a debate rather a talk show. I would say that I am satisfied with that. I did express my view before the public. But there was a day,when I couldn't express my views..I stood dumb in front of the mic..legs shivering..I am gonna tell you about that experience..
I was in 9Th grade.One day,teacher in charge of the class came and announced that there is a debate and she need one person to represent the class in the debate. I stood up. Teacher looked me and I guess she was not satisfied. She enquired if there was anyone else.But no one stood up. So it was my duty to represent our class for the debate.
Next day, after the morning assembly, I was called for the discussion of the debate.I saw the other two people of my team.They were the best speakers in my batch.My confidence level went down a bit.Then saw our opponents.The just seniors(10Th standards).They too were good at this speaking business.I got a bit more frightened.
Then the moderated came out with the topic."Unemployment strives India more than Population inflammation" .Then we took a lot on who were for the motion and who were against.I don't remember who took the lot, but we were against the motion.That is we had to prove population is the cause for India's delayed development.
Next few days were the days of research for the project.I had a weakness and I had to overcome it by the amount of points.It was the chance for me to prove myself.I referred and referred and referred.I took opinions from all the people I knew.I also discussed with one of my team mate.It was all set for the hungama.
The day of the program.I think none other than me had considered that day important.Tghe program was to take place in the afternoon session.During the lunch break I told all my points to my team mate.Let me tell you about that person.He is highly optimistic and tries to find good qualities in everyone(He would not be able to tell a bad quality about anyone).He uplifted my courage by saying I got a load of points.
It is now show time.The real deal.We went to the stage, took lots who speaks when.Luckily I was the second speaker from my team.The program started with moderator introducing the topic and inviting the first speaker.Each speaker gave out their views and finally it was my turn.
I sat up from my chair, went to the mic stand. Adding to the trouble, height of the stand was well above my height. If I stand my face could not be seen. There was a wooden block and I was able to show my face when I stood on it.I started with the formal introductory speech aand then to the topic.But my shivering was clearly heard in the words spoken.I told all the points but couldn't elaborate it.I knew I had screwed it. I somehow concluded the speech and went to the chair. There was curses and comments from the audience of our team.I put my head down.
The last two speakers spoke and it was time for argument. I was not in a mental state to answer any arguments. But one of my opponents wanted an answer from me for my argument.I might have answered well, but I couldnt express it well.There was a couple more questeons.Then it was open to audience and finally it was the time for results.
It was our class teacher who declared our results.We lostby 4 points and I know it was me who made the team lose.I returned to the class.I cursed myself for taking part in that debate.I remembered the proverb "Well begun is half done".In this case it was not well begun and I think I am not suitable for oratory tasks. Then one of my friends said "You did your best,For the first time, everybody is like this".That gave me inspiration.I took part in some more debates and oral competiotions..
Now I am here, sitting staisfied after a talk show.Thanks to that first debate and that caring friend, I lost the stage fear and could speak well infront of a crowd now. After all "A journey of thousand miles starts with a single step".
No comments:
Post a Comment